Project Everest

Experiment Results

[Experiment Results]: SoCon Malawi - Mobile Money (1/2) Access - December 2018

Lean Phase: Channel Testing

Assumption: Consumers have access to mobile money as a payment system.

Through empathising with 90 consumers across three geographic regions of Blantyre, Limbe, and Nancholi, SoCon will be able to identify that consumers have access to mobile money. This would be proven by validating that phone penetration is sufficiently high across the three geographic regions, that network coverage is reliable and that consumers have close proximity to mobile money dealers. If this is proven to be true, SoCon can move on to the next stage validating that consumers are familiar with, know how to use and are willing to use mobile money.

 

Results

RESULTS:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MTBJz...it#gid=10657265

Phone Penetration:

In Blantyre, 97% of consumers own a mobile phone, with 71% owning a smartphone. In Limbe, 83% of consumers own a mobile phone, with 50% owning a smartphone. In Nancholi, 80% of consumers own a mobile phone, however, only 22% own a smartphone. The overall trend is that 88% of respondents own a mobile phone.

 

Network Access:

In Central Blantyre, 83% of consumers find the network reliable, with the remaining 17% expressing that reception can be limited. In Limbe, 91% of consumers find the network reliable, with the remaining 9% citing slow reception at times. Comparatively, a majority of 58% consumers in Nancholi find the network to be unreliable. The overall trend indicates that 72% of consumers find the network to be reliable.

 

Proximity to a dealer:

In Blantyre, 97% of consumers are less than an hour away from the closest mobile money dealer. In Limbe, 95% of consumers are less than an hour away from the closest mobile money dealer. In Nancholi, 100% of consumers are less than an hour away from the closest mobile money vendor. Further, the majority of respondents in Nancholi cited that the closest mobile money vendor was within 5 minutes walking from them. Across all three surveyed locations, an average of 97% of respondents were within an hour walking distance to a mobile money vendor.

 

Validated Learning

Overall, conducting this experiment validated all three of our assumptions regarding access to mobile money in Blantyre.

The first assumption was successfully validated by our findings, that indicated that overall 88% of respondents own a mobile phone. There were no discernable differences between Central Blantyre, Limbe, and Nancholi. Of those surveyed that did not own a mobile phone, 88% had access to a mobile phone of a family member or a friend.

Whilst the overall trend of the second assumption is that 72% of respondents find the network to be reliable, it cannot be validated as this majority does not stand across all three geographic regions. In Central Blantyre and Limbe, 83% and 91% of respondents find the network to be reliable. Those who found the network to be unreliable attributed this to limited reception at times. Comparatively, in Nancholi 42% of respondents found the network to be reliable, rendering the second assumption unable to be accurately validated on the basis of geographic spread.

The third assumption of close proximity to a mobile money dealer (within 1hr walking distance) was successfully validated across all three locations. The overall trend is that 97% of respondents were within an 1 hour walking distance to a mobile money vendor. Furthering this assumption, many respondents offered comments of being “very close”, “100m” and “5 mins”.

 

Next Move

The next move is to validate the assumptions of the second mobile money experiment, regarding knowledge and usage. The knowledge and usage experiment was conducted in conjunction with the access experiment. Upon analysis of our data that was collected, we seek to validate that:

  • Whether customers are familiar with mobile money
  • Whether customers know how to use mobile money
  • If customers are willing to use mobile money to access financial services
edited on 17th December 2018, 06:12 by Emma Snow

Ella Grier 6 months ago

Status label added: Experiment Results

Reply 0

Share