projecteverest

Work Update

[Work Update]: FarmEd Cambodia - Seeds of Knowledge: February MA Recap Cambodia - February 2018

by
Rose Martin
Rose Martin | 11 months ago | in FarmEd

As our month on project in Cambodia comes to an end, we reflect on what we have achieved, the challenges we have faced, and the impact of this on the future of FarmEd.

 

The direction we took this month was guided by our goals, which changed as we continually reevaluated what avenues were achievable and useful. This is a summary of what we achieved.

 

Supply chain. In order to create a system that links customers of our products to buyers in the area, we researched and connected with local cafe and restaurant owners. This approach was an attempt to overcome one of the biggest blocks to selling our products in Cambodia: the fact that farmers often do not have the connections to sell new types of produce. If they cannot sell different types or greater amounts of produce, our products that aim to help them grow it cannot be valuable to them.

We decided to look at NGOs closely as we believe they are good candidates to be early adopters, due to their connection with local social issues.

 

Technology and Database. Gabriel built the FarmEd database following his time trekking in January, so we developed the architecture around the database. It is crucial for the future development of the application that a database be constructed and adopted by both FarmEd Cambodia and Fiji. In collaboration with Sydney, we provisioned AWS, allowing for complex data analysis. While it was a success, it was is a failure that it has not been adopted at all by the Fiji team, which is of concern and should be a future recommendation for FarmEd.

We should be careful with our data entry, and future teams must structure their goals and ambitions around these data collection methods.

 

Product development. After much research had been done into the market and supply chain through countless interviews; it became apparent that there was no actual product developed for either the workshops or the blueprint. Our group was determined to begin to create these products in order to sell them effectively in the future, and prove their viability.

For the workshop development, we began with holding a focus group at one of our test farms in week 2. This was a success, with many farming contacts gained, and a contact with an NGO called the Trailblazer Foundation.

Following this, we began a relationship with the Trailblazer Foundation, and set up a collaboration for a Workshop to be run in week 4 on companion cropping and soil management. This was our first complete sale for FarmEd Cambodia (:D).

In addition to this, we noticed that the Blueprint product was not at all developed. Both the Field Development and Market Analysis teams came together to work on this goal, resulting in the creation of a workable blueprint for our test plot. This blueprint contains all the diagrams, and data that will be needed for a client. We decided that the blueprint should take into account the needs of each farmer, while simultaneously creating the best use of land to increase crop yields and their efficiency. FarmEd is in a much better position after February since we understand, exactly, what a blueprint looks like.

 

Our team has made considerable progress this month and are excited for the future of FarmEd Cambodia. While there is still so much work to do, we are keen for future teams to continue to push forward the project!

Let us know what you think!

Over and out,

#thatsfarmin

edited on 6th September 2018, 01:09 by Justin Hakeem

Wade Tink 7 months ago

Status label added: Work Update

Reply 0

Share