projecteverest

Work Update

Breaking Ground in Cambodia

by
Liv Hendy
Liv Hendy | Dec 31, 2017 | in Knowledge Base

 

The december field dev team hustled hard in cambodia, establishing a solid foundation for the upcoming summer months to begin to push the boundaries on the permaculture blueprint. After establishing a close relationship with the Cambodian Landmine Museum who allowed us to use there farm land for development, the team also entered into a potential partnership with a local farming technology park, run by CESAIN, opening up another location to test the proposed blueprint design. Whilst the plot at the landmine museum offers a unique opportunity to implement the blueprint in such a way as a cambodian farmer would, after recommendations from several experts on the ground the incompatible pH and texture of the soil was deemed to be too tough to work on without enacting large scale measures to solve these issues (these included recommendations to add lime to the plot to control the pH). Subsequently the goals for the January team will be focused around the 6 plots we’ve been offered at CESAIN technology park.

 

The goals for the january field development team are too:

 

Goal 1: Develop at the CESAIN park, starting with 4 blueprint beds and 1 control bed.

 

CESAIN have provided 6, 1.5x 10 m, plots. This allows testing of our 5 proposed beds with excess of 1 ready for development if a new blueprint is developed OR another bed is needed to be utilised for experimentation. This allows further summer teams to begin to test the viability of the blueprint permaculture designed by the December team.

 

Goal 2: The plot located at the Landmine Museum will be comprehensively profiled allowing input from the wider PE community into possible next steps to increase its viability as an experimentation site.

 

Data will be collected about the site (including soil type, land size, weather patterns, local pests/diseases) and compiled into an online profile. This will create a digital snapshot of the farm allowing for research and investigation to be conducted off site in order to strategize next steps for the land.

 

Goal 3: Blueprint measurement will be conducted, integrating costing structures into our blueprint design

 

Through closely working with the market analysis team costing structures will be defined in order to establish a market price for the cambodian blueprint. This will be done through integrating the data collected from market analysis as well as the improvements to yields that can be measured against the control plot in order to establish the foundations of the value this blueprint can bring to the consumer.

 

The next month is all about breaking ground in cambodia, both figuratively and literally, as well as growing from the foundations the Cambodian Field dev december team set up for us.

 

Roya Ghodsi Jan 10, 2018

Hey Liv! How does the team intend the control bed set-up to look like? Will the bed just be replicating traditional Cambodian farming practices to which the success of the 5 blueprint beds will be compared?

Reply 0

Liv Hendy Jan 19, 2018

Hey roya,
Sorry I only just saw this, and luckily we will be developing this very soon I will upload the developed control bed structure when we've completed it! :)

Reply 1

Georgie Scott Feb 16, 2018

Hey Liv!
Would still be super keen to hear about how you implemented a control bed, as this was a major problem we faced in Malawi.

Users tagged:

Reply 0

Liv Hendy Feb 18, 2018

Hey Georgie, sorry this was so delayed.

After recommendation from Emma Rickert we decided to do about 1.5 length of each bed is mono cropped and then a small space is given (we decided about 10cm), meaning at our 1st test demonstration farm which had 4 beds tested we had 1 control bed with 0.5m sections (this was due to the fact our beds are 6m rather than the optimal 10m at our 2nd farm)

I'd recommend subdividing the beds into rough sizing, for 6m beds we did 4 crops planted, for 12m beds we are planning on 6 crops. Other thing that is really important is using the companion cropping sheet in order to make sure crops planted adjacent don't have related effects. We did this by using a whiteboard and as we randomly planned where we would locate crops someone was cross referencing with the companion planting guide.

My team will be uploading a series of SOPs this week for how we have approached Field Dev as a non 'aggy' team, I'll add some info regarding how we set up our beds and our control bed.

Happy Farming :)

Reply 0

View all replies (3)

Mallory Dobner 11 months ago

Status label added: Work Update

Reply 0

Share