Project Everest

Work Update

Field Development December have arrived

by
Matthew D'Souza
Matthew D'Souza | Nov 29, 2017 | in Knowledge Base

The December Field Development team arrived at Ranadi Ginger Plantation yesterday afternoon, and were greeted by the glorious Fijian weather. As we fell asleep to the sound of rain pounding down on a corrugated iron roof, all were wondering how the six demonstration plots were coping.

As Lisa mentioned in her post last week, flooding had been an ongoing issue at Ranadi. It rained on and off the entire morning, but by the afternoon we had a chance to venture out into the farm. In the light of last night’s downpour, what we found was expected; the walkways between beds were filled with water to the tops of the bamboo walls, as well as the drainage trench and the region surrounding the compost pile. 

We had planned to take pH measurements from a variety of locations along the beds, however due to flooding we could only access the western side. A metre in from the edge of each bed we dug down and collected soil, for a total of six samples. We will perform the tests shortly and report our results in the next Crowdicity update. 

According to information from Kie, we presume that bed 5 had the best yield over the past six months; this may be confirmed once we obtain harvest records from Ranadi over the coming days. On visual inspection, this bed still had bok choy growing in the middle, as well as a tomato plant towards the western side.

It was possible to physically reach the control bed, which was located on the edge and hence more accessible than beds 1 to 4. In the back half of the control we found a significant number of carrots. While some were rotten, a good specimen was found by the third post on the eastern side. Said carrot was washed, sliced and scientifically tested for flavour, with unanimous agreement that it was “sweet” and “organic”.

Weather permitting, the remainder of the week will involve finding the harvest records and developing a new recording system that is more user friendly. We will analyse this and the data that we have collected today to statistically determine whether the blueprints improve yield. Based on what we find, materials will be ordered and the beds prepared for the planting of a new phase of crops. 

We’re still deciding on the best solution to the drainage issue and how to design the next beds, so please drop your ideas in the comments. If any further information would help, leave a request and I’ll get back to you soon.

edited on 30th November 2017, 19:11 by Matthew D'Souza

Samantha Orum Jul 1, 2018

Status label added: Work Update

Reply 0