Project Everest

Experiment Results

[Experimental Results]: Fuel Fiji - A Rocket Stove of my very own - July 2017

I spent July in Fiji and with my team, developed a prototype firewood rocket stove. It was fascinating to see how a solution like this has so much potential to change the lives of the local Fijians we met, while being a relatively simple idea.

After getting home, I found myself some free materials and with the help of my Dad, made my own Rocket Stove. We found a non-reusable gas cylinder and some scrap metal and angle grinded, riveted and welded pieces together following our Fijian design.

My dad had the idea to add removable handles, that are shown in the image below, which can be removed to keep cool when cooking and also used to extend the radius for cooking with larger pots. This has proved to work really well.

I have been cooking various things in my backyard and putting this stove through the paces for two months now, including leaving it out in the rain. Other than becoming noticeably rusted, it has held up well. I have attached more photos.

I did some controlled testing comparing my rocket stove to the electric stove inside, the details have also been attached. The rocket boiled 1L of water in 6:08, with 200g wood, compared the electric at 6:17. This was a satisfying result and suggests that this stove really is capable of being an effective cooking method, even by Australian standards. I tested again with 2L and the rocket boiled at 12:00, with 300g wood, while the electric was 9:00. 

I love my stove. I will continue to cook with it and see how it lasts, and measure all the tests that I do. If anyone has any ideas of tests to do or anything, please comment, totally happy for an excuse to play with it. I will be taking it with me every time I go camping from now on.

 

** attached: photos of building, testing and cooking + experiment details.

edited on 6th September 2018, 01:09 by Justin Hakeem

Alex Piatek Nov 7, 2017

Love your initiative dude! The removable handles are a great idea, hats off to your dad.

Some tests that I think could be worth trying are:

- the arrangement of the wood. Testing what arrangement burns for the longest, contributes the least amount of air pollution or achieving the highest temperature. Here is a video that demonstrates an arrangement for commercial woodburning stoves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFPSd_KH8A

- increasing the thermal efficiency through modifying the air intake. You could get a piece of sheet metal and spot weld it to the air intake so you can easily break the welds and modify the sheet and then re-weld the sheet back on. Start with a large piece of sheet that covers a large area of the air intake, then reduce the size of the sheet for each test.

- alternative fuel sources, such as bio bricks (this is probably out of the scope of what you are looking for, however, if you find alternative sources with ease, might be worth a crack.

Reply 4

Mitchell Lew Nov 8, 2017

Absolutely.
These are great ideas. I have messed around a little with the wood arrangement but Ill look into more controlled ways of experimenting and measuring.

I'm excited to jump in and see what I can do over the uni break. Ill keep you posted with whatever I can come up with.

Reply 1

Wade Tink Jul 1, 2018

Status label added: Experiment Results

Reply 0

Share