Project Everest

Work Update

[Work Update]: Hidden Hunger Malawi – False Door Test: Advertising Facebook, Poster and Radio Channels: Utility Test – July 2019

Proposed Experiment: https://projecteverest.crowdicity.com/post/956910

 

Introduction: 

In the month of July, the Hidden Hunger team explored 3 different advertising channels. These included advertising on radio, Facebook and posters. To test these channels, we met with information and communication officers from businesses working in the nutrition space, as well as various radio sales and marketing executives. We successfully launched the posters and radio advertisement, but technical difficulties hindered the launch of the Facebook ad. 

 

Work Update/ Results: 

Posters

Summary: 

One of the advertising options that the July team tested was posters. This advertising route was unplanned and adopted during week 2 of project. We designed a poster advertisement (in English) and put them up around Nancholi. The aim of the poster advertisements was to test if posters are a viable way of reaching our target audience of mothers. 

Poster ad and experiment steps:

(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-2XQzrK5aYoKkEbUKtoI__RSyq-Ib9dhA6PGBGlSu_0/edit)

Results: 

Red light response- 0 text responses from the poster advertisements. 

To Note: 

We are unsure if this is due to a language barrier or if the graphic used portrayed connotations of begging. 

Facebook

Summary: 

Another advertising channel that the July team tested was Facebook. The intended aim of launching the Facebook ad was to use false door advertising as a way of monitoring interest. During the developmental stage of the Facebook ad, we spoke to communication and marketing experts to ensure we understood how to engage and appropriately deliver our message to our audience. 


Facebook ad and experiment steps found at:

(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-2XQzrK5aYoKkEbUKtoI__RSyq-Ib9dhA6PGBGlSu_0/edit)

Results:

Due to technical difficulties, the Facebook ad was not launched and should be picked up from where the July team left it. 

To note: 

Facebook blocked the account on three occasions, forcing us to create new gmail and Facebook accounts twice. Take into consideration time needed for Facebook to review the account and the advertisement. The account details for both the Facebook and gmail accounts created can be found at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EWTj1-ABansNSrRpa1gEN-ap6yfB8U5-ed5pl_cChw4/edit

 Radio

Summary: 

Another advertising channel that the July team tested was radio. The team created a radio advertisement that went up on Times Radio Malawi. This was to test if radio is a viable advertising channel in reaching mothers. 

 Radio script: (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OvXvDvqZXXSYK4F7VwdwQmSO0ZJkhept9KM-ZGYh2QE/edit)

Experiment steps:

(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-2XQzrK5aYoKkEbUKtoI__RSyq-Ib9dhA6PGBGlSu_0/edit

Results:

The radio ad aired a total of 4 times over a 2 day period (Wednesday 24th July and Thursday 25th July 2019). The times and number of responses for each air time are:



Wednesday 24/7/19 morning

                  07:20 

  • 9 text responses

  • 2 phone call responses

Wednesday 24/7/19 evening

                  18:25 

  • 0 text responses

  • 0 phone call responses

Thursday 25/7/19 morning

                  07:45

  • 5 text responses

  • 1 phone call response

Thursday 25/7/19 evening

                  18:25

  • 0 text responses

  • 0 phone call responses

To note: 

We had a positive response to the morning ads, however the evening ads had 0 responses. This leads us to believe that there are more people actively listening to Times Radio in the morning, and that airing in the morning is a more effective way for PEV to advertise. 

 

Find the phone numbers of the people who responded to the radio ad and the response we gave them here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fP_2YZSiRrLiy94Kl1wSZI7msEcWFG9ihpUR8V7YQ0I/edit

Discussion/ Validated Learning:

  • While creating both the Facebook and Radio advertisements we found that both Facebook and Radio did not have the ability to target areas more specific than the Blantyre district. Because of this we had to alter the experiment slightly. 

    • Rather than targeting the radio ad to rural areas of Malawi, we aired the ad on Times Radio which reaches most of Malawi. Community radio will need to be utilised, if more specific districts are to be targeted. 

 Moving Forward:

  • The December team should continue with the Facebook ad, taking into consideration the technical difficulties faced by the July team.

edited on 27th July 2019, 17:07 by Hannah Walker

Grace Blackford 3 months ago

Status label added: Work Update

Reply 0