Project Everest

Experiment Results

[EXPERIMENT RESULTS]: Hidden Hunger Malawi - Initial Currency Exchange for Follow Up Report - Currency Testing - February 2019

Experiment Post Reference: https://projecteverest.crowdicity.com/post/882870

Lean Phase: Unique Value Proposition

Purpose: To determine whether or not our customer segment would pay for a solution which advises on foods to add for a wholesome diet.

Assumption: Mothers are willing to pay 200 MK upfront for an individual nutrition report to be sent to them at a later date.

Time Box: February 2019 Week 1-2

Success Metric: Percentage of customers willing to pay for an MVP out of total customers engaged with in total.

CRITERIA
Green light:
Proceed to Solution and Utility Testing.
Success point: 40% or more mothers would pay for a solution.
Orange light: Assess responses and determine why they are not interested in a paid solution. Reiterate MVP based on current UVP.
Failure point: Less than 10% of mothers are willing to pay for our MVP.
Red light: Reiterate UVP based on problem definition (offer testing experiment).

Results:

Green Light has been achieved.

The currency test has been performed with a total of 33 people in the month of February. Including the results garnered from the January team, this brings the total to 43 people. All of these customers were approached were in the Limbe area, except for 1 who was approached in Blantyre markets.

Out of the total 43 people who were approached, 33 sales were made. 5 of these were made in January, according to the experiment result post (https://projecteverest.crowdicity.com/post/894560 ), and 27 were made by the February team. There was a discrepancy found in the January data that accounts for the missing 1 - while the team said they made 5 sales, we found 6 people in the customer database.

The results show that 77% of people who were approached were willing to pay 200 Malawian Kwacha upfront in exchange for a once off nutrition report that was drawn up using the USTAWI application. Considering the success metric for this experiment was 40%, this solution has been given the green light to continue into utility testing.

It is important to note that the 6 people in February who did not purchase a report were still interested in receiving information about nutrition but did not have the 200 Malawian Kwacha available the day we approached them. Every single person in this situation asked us to return at a later date in order for them to gather the money to purchase the report. When the team returned, we were unable to locate these people and so they still have not conducted a report.

During currency testing in February, 92%  of the sales were by women, however, this was primarily the people who were approached. This means that 2 males also bought reports and it should be noted that we have noticed an interest from male customers in other experiments we have run this month. It was a 50% split between the males and females who expressed interest but did not purchase the report. Most people were able to supply us with information about how many children they had and how old they were. Out of these 24 people, the average number of dependents per household was 3.95. The amount of people who bought reports but did not supply a phone number was 12%.

Most of the data collected and analysed in this report is from the February sales. This is because the February team decided to add more data points to their surveys and were able to collect feedback.

Data Collection and Representation:
The February team used the same methods as January to perform this experiment. We traveled to Limbe and approached peoples homes to see if they were interested in purchasing a nutrition report. If people were willing to pay the 200 Malawian Kwacha, we would take them through the USTAWI application and have the customer select what foods they had eaten in the past 24 hours. Lots of our customers in February were found through word of mouth from our January customers, and the others were found through door knocking. All up we made sales in 13 different locations. The January team expressed concerns about a bulk amount of sales happening in one area, however the February team found that this was very prevalent within Malawi, and should not be considered as a major bias.

The application would provide the nutrients and foods that were missing in these diets. This information was collected by the team and turned into a paper report that was printed out and delivered back to the customer. The final report provides a list of food that should be included in the diet, while also stating what nutrients are already included in the diet, and what ones are missing. At the end of the report it gives a brief explanation of what each nutrient is good for. This has been updated since January to include more foods and nutrient information, and the format has changed slightly. Please see a sample copy attached.

Going forward:
This experiment has shown that our customer segment is keenly interested in learning more about nutrition through this application. The solution can now move into utility testing in order to make it more specific to the Malawian context.

edited on 24th March 2019, 23:03 by Wade Tink

Lucy Noble Feb 25, 2019

Status label added: Experiment Results

Reply 0

Lucy Noble Feb 25, 2019

Status label added: Complete

Reply 0

Lucy Noble Feb 25, 2019

Status label removed: Complete

Reply 0